Leaksville Hospital 1924
Leaksville Hospital, as it appeared in 1924, just before opening. Madison, NC physician Dr. H. Carlyle Dixon and Leaksville physicians, Dr. C. V. Tyner and Dr. Kenan Casteen, saw a need for a hospital in the Tri-City area. With a $7,500 gift from Marshall Field and Company, a new 24-bed facility was opened. An additional $7,500 was lent to the doctors for the operation of the hospital. The hospital, owned and operated by Drs. Dixon (who moved his practice to Leaksville), Tyner, and Casteen, provided 24-hour nursing care. Most of these nurses were trained at the hospital's school of nursing.
(Photo submitted by Bidney Dixon, daughter of Dr. H. Carlyle Dixon)
Back to the Photos