Tool Check Out Tag
It is -- or was -- an Industrial Education Center, part of a network of technical and vocational institutions for adults authorized by the General Assembly in 1957 and approved by the State Board of Education in 1958. The first seven funded were in Burlington, Durham, Goldsboro, Greensboro-High Point, Leaksville (now Eden), Wilmington, and Wilson. These and 13 other IECs became part of the new North Carolina Community College System with the passage of the landmark legislation in May 1963. Today, that system includes one specialized technology center and 58 comprehensive institutions committed to workforce education and economic development. Technical and vocational education remains the focus of today's community colleges, which also offer solid academics, comprehensive basic skills, and a broad range of occupational extension and other continuing education.
(Photo and information submitted by Lowell Hatcher)